Wednesday, June 17, 2009

babies!


We've had a stretch here of a baby about every 12 hours. It's been crazy fun. Four of them were primary catches for me--yippee! There are three birth rooms here, and a fourth room that is a cita room, but could be a birth room in a pinch. So far, we've had the three rooms all occupied at one time on one day. That was a busy day, especially since we were also doing citas. I've never seen it so busy that we had to use the double duty room, but I understand that at times, the whole place here is filled with laboring women. They've done upwards of eighty births a month in this little place.

If I were only here for the "numbers" (meaning the numbers of births required for submitting your paperwork to become a Certified Professional Midwife, CPM), I could go home now. But, knowing that it would leave everyone here to pick up my slack I won't do that. Besides, my learning goals are pretty specific, and this visit really isn't about the numbers, but about repeated opportunities to practice hands-on skills so that I can really feel confident in them.

I'm at the end of my first week here and remembering last year at this time wasn't so fun for me. The great interns that I spent my time with here last year are on my mind as well, and I am re-appreciating the great gifts of understanding, wisdom, and friendship that they offered me at that time. I'm a lot more relaxed here this year--and even though I wish my Spanish was better, I'm confident in my skills and not so nervous about everything.

There's an intern here this year who reminds me of last year's version of me. Though her reactions to being here aren't as emotional as mine were, she is definitely frustrated and stressed out. All of the interns eventually get frustrated, stressed out and exhausted, but I think the problem is compounded when your skills are at such a beginning stage.

I've decided that it's my turn to give back the kind nurturing that I got from the other interns last year. "See one, do one, teach one," is what a doctor who visits the clinic told me last year. It only took me a year to get the wisdom of this statement. Observe, do, and then teach--my only caveat to this might be to see and do more than just one so that you can be a good teacher. It is in the teaching that your learning sends down deep roots into your brain and your muscles, and if you're mindful, you get more out of the act of teaching than your student.

1 comment:

remember that time said...

I love your mantra... see one, do one, teach one. Applicable in all sorts of places!