Wednesday, June 4, 2008

more experience. . .

Who needs dinner, anyway? I got off my shift at 6 p.m. (really almost 6:30), made some beans and rice and sat down to rest and check my email. Another intern got called into the birth room, but she went out for the day with her sister. Being the keener that I am, I just put down my bowl of beans and headed over to the clinic. The intern you paged isn't here right now, can I help? Whoo--hooo. I was solo second for two births happening within 20 minutes of each other. Totally crazy, and fun, and I got to work with a different staff midwife than I have so far, so I'm just swirling with thoughts and on a little bit of a high right now.

Seconds don't have much responsibility after the birth. I just clean up some of the tools, wipe down the counters in the lab, and re-assemble the "birth bowls" that contain all the supplies we need for a birth. So, by 10:30, I'm done with those extra responsibilities and back in the house. Not quite ready to sleep, though. There are some things I want to look up. But, I do have to be on call by 6 a.m. tomorrow, and working another day of citas by 8 a.m. I'll go to bed soon.

No comments: